[Wine] Is Wine taking my donations and giving them to CrossOver?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 06:13:54 CDT 2008

On 28/03/2008, muncrief <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Well, I think I have a clearer picture of what is going on now.
>
>  And I thank all of you for your responses.
>
>  It appears that unfortunately there weren't enough open source software users such as myself who actually donate what they can so that Wine could viably exist, so Wine essentially became an R&D resource for CodeWeavers.
>
>  I have no problem with that.
>
>  The problem I have is that, of course, Wine is not an open source project. And whether "official" or not, must offer something less than the company that employs them.
>
>  So I will halt my donations to Wine, which were falsely solicited.
>
>  If you had been honest in the first place, I might have happily paid for your products. I have given over $500.00 to VMware because they contribute to the open source community, but are honest about what they do and do not take and release to it.
>
>  But if you go to VMWare's home page you would never mistake them for an open source project
>
>  But Wine's home page presents you as just that, and only that. You are indeed misrepresenting yourselves.
>
>  And my original question was never answered.
>
>  Was the money I donated to a supposed open source project given to a for profit company?

No. The money that you donated to Wine stays within wine. It's that simple.

Like you, Codeweavers also supports the wine project. You support wine
with money. Codeweavers supports wine with hosting and patches. Much
of the work Codeweavers does goes directly into wine. That is in
contrast to others who use the wine codebase, such as Transgaming.

What distro do you use? Similar analogies can be found for all open
source software. Some examples:
1) Sun Office, which is related to Open Office
2) Fedora, which is related to RHEL
3) Ubuntu, which is related to Canonical
4) KDE, which (through Qt) is related to TrollTech (and now Nokia)
5) ???
6) Profit!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com