[Wine] Is Wine taking my donations and giving them to CrossOver?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:36:27 CDT 2008

>  > If you had been honest in the first place, I might have happily paid for
>  > your products. I have given over $500.00 to VMware because they contribute
>  > to the open source community, but are honest about what they do and do not
>  > take and release to it.

VMWare has only a very limited contribution to the open source
community and its software is definitely not open source. On top of
that I have found (at work) that the free versions of its server
software appear to be intentionally broken (performance seriously
degrades over time). This was not just on one single server it was on
many. After contacting technical support over that the general
reaction from their support is that no one should use VMWare server in
a production environment you need to buy esx server. And at that time
(2 years ago) esx server was more expensive for me then buying
additional servers when you consider the cost of the reoccurring cost
of the license. I believe it was $750 (or more)/box per year. I just
checked and it appears that the price has gone down considerably but I
have moved on and replaced all the operations that I used VMWare with
at work with true open source solutions (virtual box, xen, vserver and
openvz) and they all work and work well at what they do. And when I
have problems with either for the most part I get help and not pushed
into buying some expensive closed source product.

John