[Wine] Any experience with old Half Life CDs?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:05:49 CDT 2008

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience loading Half Life using old
HL CDs instead of Steam. I have two old CDs - one form 1998 and one
from 2000. I tried installing from the 2000 CD and it installed OK but
when I tried to do the update from within the game it complained about
lack of Internet access. When I start the game I get a black screen
before the menu, and when I choose the New Game menu item the game
goes nowhere. The mouse still works but only killing X gets me back in
control.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8

The results on this page look quite good but that's certainly not my
experience this morning. The results posted there are not of much
value in terms of knowing how user actually went about their installs
so I'm unclear how to move forward with this. I know this used to
work, or possibly still does, but I've not tried it on a Gentoo AMD64
system before. Wine is compiled as 32-bit.

Is this is a known issue?

I may or may not follow up on this. I have a Steam account so I'll
shift to that version soon as it has all the updates and is probably
more recently tested.

Thanks,
Mark