[Wine] Re: If you think getting Windows games working in Wine is hard .

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 29 07:03:24 CDT 2008

David Gerard

> ... try getting old Linux binaries to work in a current Linux. It's
> actually harder.

Really depends on how, distrobution and application.  If you have a openvz kernel not that hard just bulky.  With a openvz kernel you just install both versions of Linux.

Linux kernel has binary compatibility with applications.  Its the .so files above it that give nice fun issues.  Before something like openvz using a chroot to fix was not uncommon.

Now does it have binary compatibility with drivers hell no.

Linux version of dll hell.

_POSIX2_VERSION  is just like setting windows version for a application.  Except that has far reaching changes.   Changes functions in librarys how they react changes what features are available from console tools and so on.  Hello binary compatibility this is part of the posix standard.

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Nice another application hitting the X11 spec problems around Composite just in a worse way the wine most of the time.

Critical line
http://secretlondon.livejournal.com/447659.html

> It now worked from the menu - it didn't need any of the compatibility libraries.

So there was binary compatibility there.  I have had far far worse.

Loki installers when they were new would do stupid things as having the application only able to run as root until you corrected permissions.  So that being wrong was normal Loki.  God of mischief was a good name for that companies installers.

Most fun is not getting old linux binarys to work in Linux.  Its getting like other Unix binaries to work in Linux.  Yes doable but a nightmare in custom kernel modules.