[Wine] Ubuntu 7.10 Wine Issue

DARKGuy . dark.guy.2008 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:21:07 CDT 2008

On 3/30/08, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM, TheGuyWhoGotOn
> <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> >

> > austin987 wrote:

> would I find these? I've looked in Synaptic but I'm not 100% sure of what
> I'm looking for...
> > > >

> > > What kind of video card do you have? What does:
> > > $ lspci -v | grep VGA
> > > say?
> >

> > I will try the Ubuntu support forum if we hit a road block...Ok "lspci -v
> | grep VGA" returns:
> >
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3
> UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> >

> Can you try:
> $ rm -rf ~/.wine
> $ winecfg &> winecfg.txt 2>&1
>
> And attach winecfg.txt here
>
> Are you running as root?

ARGH, UniChrome pro.... not to be rude, but that card is the biggest
crap VIA has made as of yet, for Linux.

It can indeed lock up the system, I have the same exact video chipset
at work and I must say it's a pain... you'll have to get the
OpenChrome drivers (there are instructions in the Ubuntu community
documentation) and configure your system to use them, it's no easy
task. Involves a bit of compiling and understanding of modules &
xorg.conf, plus getting git and using it, IIRC.

I'd suggest you to get any PCI/AGP/whatever card you can grab your
hands on, hell, even a 4Mb Trident PCI card does the job better,
seriously, no hangs whatsoever and nice res, compared to this
UniChrome.

It has issues with WINE, with OpenGL apps, with almost anything you
throw at it, unless you stick to VESA, and are lucky :P.