[Wine] Try wineprefixcreate to repair old .wine instead of deleting

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:08:47 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Austin English
<austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > This is good info Dan. Thanks.
>  >
>  >  I must say that as a user type I think the program name
>  >  'wineprefixcreate' has got to be one of the worst I've run into in a
>  >  long, long time. I suppose it has some histroy that makes sense if you
>  >  know it but for a new user coming to Wine for the first time I can
>  >  hardly imagine a name less descriptive! :-)
>  >
>  >  - Mark
>  >
<SNIP>

>  It is listed in the list of commands:
>  http://wiki.winehq.org/ListofCommands
>
>  Although, a name like wine-update may be a bit more intuitive. How
>  about something in winecfg to automatically call wineprefixcreate?

I wasn't even thinking of changing programs. Really I'm just thinking
of users who haven't read the manuals or didn't get as far as one of
thelast things on that list. wineprefixcreate seems about as developer
like as one could possibly get. Just changing the name of
wineprefixcreate to something like WineEnvBuilder or whatever would
probably be a step in the right direction, especially if the word from
on high in the future is likely to follow Alexandre's recent comments.

Anyway, this is a comment from someone that never used
wineprefixcreate because it just sounded dangerous! :-)

Cheers,
Mark