[Wine] Try wineprefixcreate to repair old .wine instead of deleting

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Mar 31 15:24:40 CDT 2008

On Monday March 31 2008 19:08:47 Mark Knecht wrote:
> I wasn't even thinking of changing programs. Really I'm just thinking
> of users who haven't read the manuals or didn't get as far as one of
> thelast things on that list. wineprefixcreate seems about as developer
> like as one could possibly get. Just changing the name of
> wineprefixcreate to something like WineEnvBuilder or whatever

	WineEnvBuilder is *very* bad name. It isn't descriptive (it's cryptic
for any newbie + it doesn't suggest that it also can update WINE prefix (not
only create one), and even worse: it even doesn't suggest that it is intended
for creating WINE prefixes), it will not be listed when you use Tab at the
command line when you already entered "wine", and it contain big letters.
	Actually it doesn't matter a lot what is the name of wineprefixcreate. What
really does matter for most newbies is GUI to launch it when necessary (and
intuitive way to understand when this is necessary), or automatic launching
of wineprefixcreate if too old WINE prefix is detected (this is best option).
	If you ask my opinion, wineprefixupdate would be better and more descriptive
name; and it is also good idea to add information that it can safely *update*
existing WINE prefix in output of "wineprefixcreate --help". But as I said
this is minor problems...
	Currently as far as I know there is neither no simple GUI to use
wineprefixcreate for default or arbitrary WINE prefixes nor auto-run when
user have too old WINE prefix and this is exactly the problem.
	It is also obvious that if we decide to silently auto-launch periodically
wineprefixcreate for existing WINE prefixes by default then it should be 100%
safe operation. Personally I almost never used it for updating existing WINE
prefixes so I don't know how safe it is currently.