[Wine] how do I get it working ?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Mon Mar 31 18:07:04 CDT 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 01:11:04 pm rob.rice wrote:
> did that and this is my out put from wine setup
>
> root at darkstar:~# wine setup

You should NEVER log in as root unless you're painted into a corner where
doing so is the only possible way, and even then only to get the task
requiring root done.  Before continuing, make sure you have a normal user
account, log out of root, and use your normal account.  Same goes for su or
sudo:  Don't use these commands to use root privleges when they're not
necessary, either.

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/explain-why-not-log-on-as-root/

> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not
> accessible. fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows"
> is not accessible. fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to
> STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL Warning: the specified System directory
> L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible. fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus
> Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL wine: could not load
> L"c:\\windows\\system32\\setup.exe": Module not found root at darkstar:~#
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> err:wineboot:main Cannot set the dir to L"c:\\windows" (31)
>
> should I try to reinstall from source ?

If the program you were trying to run is installed on your Windows partition,
yes, you should reinstall it in wine.  Wine has it's own registry and is not
aware of any possible Windows installation's registry and vice versa:  Trying
to install programs in Windows and expecting them to work under Wine won't
work for the same reason you can't install programs in Wine and expect them
to work in Windows.

- --
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca