[Wine] Re: Cannot Read Access Control List - Error 1400

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 31 23:27:44 CDT 2008

billstei wrote:
> I have an app installer (more than one actually) that several times during the install produces an error like this:
>
> Cannot read access control list.
> Error code: 1400
>
> This error is not fatal to the install process, so I am not really looking for anyone to solve the issue, but I am wondering if this is a Wine limitation or if it should be considered a full fledged bug?
>
> On a native Windows install, apparently what is happening is the installer is attempting to change permissions of certain folders/files, and XP / Vista (Win2K too?) have additional security over these changes, hence the attempt to read the "access control list".  Yes, no?
>
> Bill

Wine does not support ACL on files. Nor will it support them in the near future. However this should not affect anything since Wine is using file security of the underlaying OS.

As far as security goes - since Wine is a 100% user space app it does not require any additional rights to install programs. Unlike windows where one have to be an administrator to do so. This means that all files Wine generate are owned by you (as user) and you have full 100% access to them.