[Wine] Legal issues for bundling Wine with my Application

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri May 2 15:04:36 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:36 PM, vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  If that version/form of gdiplus is an authorized redistributable binary from Microsoft. They explicitly prohibit redistributions of any parts of the system unless they give you a redistributable package and a the right to do so.

Oh, absolutely, you have to obey the EULA.
For instance, if you use the redistributable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6A63AB9C-DF12-4D41-933C-BE590FEAA05A
you can clearly bundle that gdiplus.dll with your
windows app.

I am not a lawyer, but:

You clearly should not bundle Microsoft's gdiplus.dll
with a Linux-only version of your app.
It's fine to bundle it with the Windows version of
your app, though, to let it run on versions of Windows
that don't have that library.
- Dan