[Wine] Re: Unreal Media Server - no way to run in Linux

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 3 15:07:56 CDT 2008

Timeout wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> >
> > From wineserver. No, only remaining services & drivers without any real program running will be killed.
>

> This is however not a typical behavior from Windows.
>
> If you take the flexnet licensing server on Windows as service, it's running all the time, whether you are using it or not/using a software or not. It's here to check if the same license is used on the server so it gets pinged once the software opens and probably notices its closing.
>
> When I go to the licensing tool of the license server using Wine to check for the status of the server, I get the message that it had been killed immediately after the confirmation that a license exists. If the service gets killed once the license is confirmed, the software does not remember that a license is active and the software immediately goes in demo mode after the confirmation.

Maybe in some distant future it would be ok to run Wine in the background all the time. But not now.
For now the only realm where Wine used is user programs. Any services that must run all the time have to have a native Linux version. Request such software from your vendor. Or switch to vendor that provides native Linux versions.
You can always start a separate program such as notepad and keep it running. This will keep your services up and running.