[Wine] Office 2003 Install Fails - Ubuntu 8.04 - Wine 0.9.61

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon May 5 12:28:45 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:13 PM, akincer <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>  > You are using linux not windows...
>

>  I'll stop trying this when I stop getting fixme, stub and other messages on install. I find it completely absurd to suggest that the installation process might not be improved.

These fixme, stub messages are wine warning you that whatever program
you are running is using a part of the windows api that has not been
fully implemented by wine. Reinstalling wine itself will not help this
at all. If a specific fixme (or stub) is preventing your application
from running you can file bug reports to bring this to the attention
of the developers so that they can know that it is important to finish
that particular api.

>  If you are talking about uninstalling and reinstalling Wine, I do that just in case the upgrade scripts miss something. I take very little for granted when it comes to testing.
>

>  > Did you try deleting the ~/.wine folder and reinstalling Office with a
>  > clean environment.
>

>  Yes. But then again, I thought this was Linux and not Windows :)

Deleting the ~/.wine will get rid of any bad setup (unnecessary usage
of native dlls) that the user has done.

John