[Wine] Wine 1.0 rc1 & Anarchy Online & Ubuntu 8.04

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sat May 10 20:09:16 CDT 2008

Sndk wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I just installed HH 8.04 and Wine 1.0 rc-1, i downloaded the 850mb exe file Anarchy Online game, i installed it properly and when i want to launch it, see the screenshot ... i have no /Prefs directory so i created on and chmoded the whole /Funcom directory but i still have this problem.

You should not need to chmod any of the directories in .wine unless YOU
ARE RUNNING AS ROOT.  This is HIGHLY not suggested as problems can and
do occur.

As to the absence of the /Prefs directory, this may be because you
installed the program as root.  Vitamin gave one suggestion that may or
may not work,

Here is my suggestion:

rm -rf ~/wine (it is corrupt and will have to be removed as root if the
above applies)

log out of root and log in as a regular user

wine notepad.exe

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/

look for the directory for your program.  It should not be present

cd <program_install_directory>

wine setup.exe (or what ever program it uses to install)  to install the
program.

Run the program and the Prefs directory should be created this time.

One rule that I keep is to never run Wine as ROOT.  It has a tendency to
mess things up.

James McKenzie