[Wine] Cannot install program

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue May 13 16:32:39 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:57 PM, okeven <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Here is the error:
>
>  rokeven at 700m:~/.wine/dosdevices/d:$ wine install.exe
>  Warning: unprotecting memory to allow real-mode calls.
>          NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
>
>  It just hangs there forever until I use <control+c> to get back to the prompt.  Any help would be wonderful.

What version of Wine is this, and what are you trying to install?
There was a bug fixed in the most recent version of wine that could
cause that hang.
Try doing
  wineconsole install.exe
and see if that helps.

BTW, I reworked the first few questions of
  http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
Could you check to see if they are more helpful now?