[Wine] Wine + EeePC = Audio Problem

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Wed May 14 10:54:33 CDT 2008

Hi!
> (New User Warning)
>
> When I type “wine filename.exe”
> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f4fc,0x00000000), stub!
> err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised

The other two messages are not bound to the first one, they are not sound related. I'm often
seeing them, you can ignore them.

> Also winecfg error on Audio Tab:
> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory

This is the same msg as in the first case.
It means that in the Eee's kernel, there is not the MIDI sequencer support compiled in.
You will not be able to play MIDI files (from wine as well as from Linux itself). However,
normal (wave-based) sound will probably work.

> ANY HELP? Should I reninstall/update drivers and how?

Please consult Asus Eee's manual/mailing lists/newsgroups.

With regards, Pavel Troller