[Wine] Native ODBC in WinXP Mode

Chad wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed May 14 12:08:57 CDT 2008

Has anyone here been able to get native ODBC MS SQL connection working in Wine while the Windows version is set to XP? I've been able to get it working as long as it's set to Win98, but that's a bit of a problem now.

I'm currently running an application that no longer works or is supported in Windows 98. The aplication starts fine in WinXP mode, except for the fact that it cannot connect to the database due to the native ODBC MS SQL issue in WinXP mode.

When in WinXP mode I can setup the system DSN, but it doesn't seem to even connect to the database. When configuring the DSN via odbcad32, I cannot change the default database of the DSN and when I try to test the connection at the end I receive "Test Failed!". The only wine error/fixme messages I receive are...

err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl unsupported WS_IOCTL cmd (98000004)
fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl unsupported WS_IOCTL cmd (98000004)

A quick google of these messages doesn't bring up anything too interesting. I created a +odbc log to see if anything real noticeable was in there, though I have to admit that reading through debug logs is probably beyond my abilities in most of these situations :) Nothing really stood out in there either, though I do get quite a few messages with "<unknown, check return>", such as...

CALL DBnetlib.ConnectionOpenW(<unknown, check return>)

Any ideas or insight is appreciated! Btw - I tried to configure unixODBC and FreeTDS for this application and ran into problems there too, which I believe are FreeTDS related. Anyways, it would be quite convienient to just use the native ODBC for the DSN.