[Wine] Starting a Linux application for a windows file in wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed May 14 11:47:01 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Marcel W. Wysocki <maci at satgnu.net> wrote:
> I can understand when he gets a bit angry from time to time,
> with all this people asking the same moronic questions over and over again.

Absolutely.  Anybody would.  The only problem is that he
then takes it out on the poor newbie user.

> Show me one case where he shows a bad attitude in
> response to a well-written, precise and sane question.

That's not the problem!  The problem is when confronted with
a new Wine user who knows nothing and has not read the FAQ,
he reacts in a way that makes many users feel bad, and
scares some away.   There's no point in kicking a puppy.
Much better to calmly update the FAQ to be even more obvious,
and post a link to it, to see if the user can in fact help themselves
via the FAQ.

> Perhaps there should be a small quiz when you want to
> register at the forums or mailinglists, asking very basic
> wine questions, to ensure everyone did read the FAQ :P

We've all wished for that!  It's not practical, but we could at
least add text on the 'new post' form like this:
   Are you having trouble getting started with Wine?
   Please check the FAQ before asking for help!
and make it link to the FAQ.  Heck, we don't even have a
sticky saying "Please check the FAQ first"!
- Dan