[Wine] PWGL in wine, problems

Libero Mureddu libero.mureddu at gmail.com
Thu May 15 07:41:01 CDT 2008

puk wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what is the difference between PWGL and puredata
> (http://puredata.info/) ?
> I didn't looked deeply into the specifications of PWGL but it seems to be
> the same kind of tool.
> I'm not telling you should switch, just wondering.

Hi,
I'm using Pd (and MaxMSP) since many years. The main difference is that Pd
is based on the real time elaboration of both control datas and audio
synthesis, and PWGL is focused on the solution of compositional tasks (but
now it includes too a synthesis engine). PWGL, also offers a very, very good
notation package (and probably easy to interface with Lilypond, for exaple).
Of course the workflow of the two program is very different, being pwgl lisp
based, and thus connected with the solution of certain compositional
problems using CLOS, pattern matching search etc.

I'm quite sure, though, that a very good programmer could obtain similar
results using Pd, Supercollider, PWGL, Chuck, Csound, but still (not being a
programmer, mainly a musician), I prefer to use the tool that is primarly
thought for a certain task. Max/Pd were born for control the ircam dsp
workstation, PatchWork for composers in the so called "computer-assisted
composition".

The only program related with it is Ircam's Openmusic, that, I think, is
somehow based on an early version of PatchWork. (but OpenMusic is released
for linux as free software BUT without documentation and without libraries).
Pwgl (the follower of PatchWork), was completely redesigned, offers a
complete and reliable notation package (that in openmusic is really basic),
a nice OpenGL interface, and, thanks to the integrate synthesis engine, it
gives a complete environment for composition, notation, and synthesis all in
one.

(Didn't mean to give a lecture, sorry for the long mail, I understood you
were not suggesting to switch :-)
Libero