[Wine] does WINE run on MAC OS and OpenVMS

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Thu May 15 15:08:55 CDT 2008

noble_curious wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two queries regarding WINE.
> 1) Is there support for VMS(OpenVMS) and MAC OS in WINE. I mean that can I install/build WINE over OpenVMS OS and MAC OS.

Mac yes.  However, it is not a native (Aqua) application, it uses X11.
OpenVMS, if it is X86 based, maybe.  If it is Alpha, no.  Wine needs a
X86 processor to run.
> 2) I have heard that WINE does not have support for WIN64 bit API's. Is this true that I cannot port WIN64 applications via WINE on Linux 64 bit.

Correct.  Wine will not properly build out to 64 bits.  Windows does not
either (completely).
> If this is possible for anyone among you then plz list the name of all the OS where WINE can be successfully build.

List is quite long.  Most Linux Distributions come with Wine or have
Wine available for them.  MacOSX (through the Darwine project and some
other work) for Intel Macs ONLY.

James McKenzie