[Wine] does WINE run on MAC OS and OpenVMS

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Fri May 16 00:10:57 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> noble_curious wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have two queries regarding WINE.
>>> 1) Is there support for VMS(OpenVMS) and MAC OS in WINE. I mean that can I install/build WINE over OpenVMS OS and MAC OS.
>>>

>> Mac yes.  However, it is not a native (Aqua) application, it uses X11.
>> OpenVMS, if it is X86 based, maybe.  If it is Alpha, no.  Wine needs a
>> X86 processor to run.
>>

> Wrong. Wine itself can run on not-x86 architecture. You can even run winelib apps that way.

Let me rephrase my answer:  Wine itself will run on any architecture you
can get it to build on.  It is NOT useful to run any Windows X86 based
applications.  There is an X86 emulation program for the PowerPC, but it
is far from ready to run.  I don't know if Wine will run on top of
Virtual PC and I do know that VMWare Fusion will run XP, but that is not
what we are here to discuss.

To answer the Original Posters question in the strict sense, yes Wine
will build on MacOSX versions 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5.  However you will
need to install a bunch of UNIX X11 programs that have been ported to
run on MacOSX.  This is because MacOSX does not come with certain
programs.  There is an effort to get Wine to appear like a native MacOSX
application as well.  I don't know about the status of OpenVMS, but it
may be possible to build and install Wine on both the X86 and Alpha
versions as well.

Now to what I think the OP was asking:  Is it possible to install Wine
and run my favorite Windows programs on MacOSX.  If you have an Intel
processor, yes.  If you have a PowerPC processor, no.  OpenVMS on the
Alpha platform is a resounding no.  I don't know of an X86 emulator for
the Alpha processor.  I don't know if OpenVMS is available in a X86 flavor.

Vitally, you need to realize that I do tend to answer the spirit of the
question, not just what is written.

James McKenzie