[Wine] Re: wine and pulse audio.Can they work together?

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 16 17:23:01 CDT 2008

Pulse took a short cut.  They don't provide a pcm interface.

Wine was designed that pcm would always be there either threw dmix or threw the cards hardware mixer.

Now it is possible to get Pulse to work with wine by virtualising pcm but its laggy massively so.

Get onto Pulse to provide a working pcm layour thinking alsa design said we could always have it.    Problem if we cannot have it we will need to put something like dmix inside wine that will still have lag to hell problems.   We need far more volume controls that the default mixer ctl mixer can provide.

Same lack of hardware mixing emulation causes wine trouble when using oss threw pulse.    One defect is causing us major problems.   Because they read pcm as optional.  Sorry its option for a sound card to provide it.   But its not optional for all applications.