[Wine] Randomly and horribly slow

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sun May 18 20:58:09 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 04:49:58PM -0500, Austin English wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM, schmidtbag <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> > Just as a heads up, I spent days researching this problem before asking, so I hope to not be wasting anyones time.  I also asked on the Ubuntu forums with no replies, so I figured it must be a tricky issue that only the creators of Wine can answer.
> >
> > Some info you may want:
> > I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04.  It works perfectly fine, including 3D.  My computer is a 2.2GHz P4, 768MB of RAM, with a Radeon 9200SE.  I am dual booting with Windows XP.  Yes, I know its bad but I only plan on using this computer for work and its plenty good enough for that.  (BTW, this computer is made entirely out of spare parts, I paid nothing for it directly.)
> >
> > Anyways, I installed Wine and the first program I tried was Trillian
> > (an instant messenger) and it was on my Windows XP partition.
> > Trillian has more options and features than Pidgin so I preferred to
> > use that.  It ran fine, so I figured I'd install it.  So I ran the
> > setup.  I don't remember if I changed anything before I ran the
> > setup but ever since, every single program I run with Wine, even
> > paint, goes horribly slow.  It doesn't matter if its 3D or if its
> > practically non graphical at all.  I uninstalled Wine, removed the
> > hidden files in my home folder, and even updated it to 1.0 but it
> > still won't do anything.

Did you just uninstall it, or did you purge it?  Purge removes all the
configuration files as well.  If you just uninstall, and then reinstall,
the old configuration files stay around.

There's also the possibility that you might have installed a different
version of wine the second time, perhaps one with a disastrous bug.

-- hendrik