[Wine] Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

Bamm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 24 11:19:25 CDT 2008

I understand that it is applied automatically when needed, but there are times when one would want to run it manually. An example is when I want to literally create a new wine prefix such as

env WINEPREFIX="/home/bamm/apps/myprog" wineprefixcreate

to prepare a clean profile for future installation of myprog. I know that running setup with a WINEPREFIX would create the clean profile, but sometimes I would want to copy a few needed files into the system32 folder before running setup. Hence, in this case, I would want the wine prefix to exist before I run

env WINEPREFIX="/home/bamm/apps/myprog" wine setup.exe

I was surprised to see the message when I ran wineprefixcreate:

"Note: wineprefixcreate is deprecated and shouldn't be needed anymore.
WINEPREFIX creation and updates now happen automatically when needed."

I am afraid they might soon remove this useful command (this is what "deprecated" means right?).

I hope they decide otherwise and "undeprecate" it. Most people won't need to know about it anyway, but those who do will find it useful if the situation calls for it.