[Wine] Re: Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

Bamm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 24 19:59:12 CDT 2008

L. Rahyen wrote:
> It is deprecated and personally I see no reason why it should stay. It was for manual update of a WINE prefix. Now it is automatic and therefore it isn't needed anymore.

I do.

It's ironic that the wineboot is suggested to "create" a wine prefix, while wineprefixcreate is deprecated because the "update" occurs automatically.

In the past, I've always thought that the practice of using wineprefixcreate to "update" (as opposed to create) an already existing prefix is a kind of workaround for the absence of a "wineprefixupdate". Now that updating is automatic, we deprecate wineprefixcreate, and then suggest wineboot to create the prefix. We're creating another misnomer.

Commands should reflect what they are supposed to do. Telling people that we create wine prefixes by using the wineboot command creates more confusion.

And I mentioned that sometimes we actually need to create a wine prefix, as opposed to updating an existing prefix (such as when needing to run the installer from within the prefix or needing to add some dlls).