[Wine] Re: DOS memory range unavailable

Bamm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 24 23:44:14 CDT 2008

phildaman46 wrote:
> I am getting a "DOS memory range unavailable" message when I'm trying to install Grim Fandango. What does this mean and how do I solve it.

You are running a 16-bit app. That's a problem caused by a recent update in the Linux kernel that prevents programs (particularly Wine) from accessing the first 64k of kernel memory. It was done to plug a security hole. So it's not a problem with Wine; rather the Linux kernel itself in increasing security unfortunately prevented running 16-bit apps in Wine.

If you're using Ubuntu try this:

Code:
sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0

the above code temporarily allows access to this memory location, allowing you to run your 16-bit app. It will last until you shut down the computer, so you'll need to run the command again the next time you boot.