[Wine] Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun May 25 04:53:16 CDT 2008

Bamm skrev:
> perryh wrote:
>> Given that simply starting a program now has a useful side effect -- creating a prefix if it does not already exist -- is it time for a wine equivalent of the OS/370 do-nothing utility IEFBR14?
>
> If you just want to create a prefix and do nothing else, then yes. I did mention a couple of situations when it is desirable to create a prefix and do nothing else. Why start a program to create a prefix when you can just create a prefix?

Perhaps because, presumably, you want that prefix in order to actually
do something, like run a program. Then why not just *run* that program
already, instead of going through the extra step of manually creating
the prefix?

WINEPREFIX=~/.whatever wine setup.exe

The WINEPREFIX variable won't change, it has to be used when actually
running the program too, whether or not you initialize the files
separately. I don't see a benefit of doing it separately. Even if you
need to change winver etc before running setup.exe, then you'd start
with winecfg, which would similarly initialize the files.