[Wine] Re: Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 25 09:44:24 CDT 2008

James McKenzie wrote:

> Which programs require this?  Are they listed in the Applications
> Database and is there a bug report for each and every one of them?

Office 2007. Yes and yes. And it's a program that a lot of people want to run. Sure, ideally all setup programs should just run, but let's be realistic here.  If Wine never needed dll overrides, the option to do them wouldn't be there in the first place. Personally, I'm fine with running winecfg instead of wineprefixcreate, because I would do that anyway to set the dll overrides. The change actually makes things easier for me. But what I gather from this thread is that people accustomed to doing their configuring from the command line see it as adding an unnecessary extra step.

>  However, wineboot does sound like it
> boots wine.  Maybe that is the program needing to be renamed?  I too was
> confused by its name and never would have thought to use it for the
> functions it provides.

I always thought wineboot was used to simulate a Windows reboot for programs that demand it; I never would have thought of using it before installing a program either. I think the advice to use it instead of winecfg is simply because it's quicker for those who don't actually use winecfg to change settings. Bottom line, from what I gather, is that running anything with the wineprefix variable set will now force creation of the wineprefix if it doesn't already exist (and update an existing one).