[Wine] First-time wine user, having problems with Direct3D and EE2

Bond Masuda bm007 at cox.net
Sun May 25 10:18:32 CDT 2008

I made some progress, so i thought I'd follow up. But there is still
some issues i'm hoping someone can help me with.

I was finally able to play the game. It turns out that I had to enable
"Emulate Virtual Desktop" in winecfg, which was not on by default. Is
this generally a required setting when running programs that require
Direct3D? (my wine newb-ness shows, i know...)

After getting the game to run, the next issue was sound. A little
googling revealed that wine doesn't get along well with pulseaudio,
which is now the default in Fedora 8. The work around is to use padsp as
a OSS wrapper. Running "padsp winecfg" and selecting the OSS driver,
then running "pasdp wine <path to game exe>" allowed the sound to work.

Now, the remaining issues that i've noticed:

1. Places where punctuation marks (like . : , ) are suppose to be show
up as white rectangles. others have reported to AppDB about this, but
wanted to see if someone more
knowfile:///home/bmasuda/Desktop/Screenshot-Default%20-%20Wine%20desktop.png
ledgeable could ellaborate or explain this issue.

2. Units on the map have a strange "dark square" beneath them. I'm
attaching a PNG screenshot that shows what i'm talking about.
Screenshots on AppDB do not show this problem so it was not something i
was expecting. Is there some setting that will make the "dark squares"
go away?

Also in the PNG screenshot, you can see the white rectangles mentioned
in #1 above.

Would appreciate any suggestions.. thanks!