[Wine] Re: AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Kazade wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 26 01:56:26 CDT 2008

> I gave up on ATI when I had so many problems with their drivers, I sent them a letter and told them I'd be buying nvidia next time. It's unfortunate.

They are massively improving though. They have released their specifications (unlike nVidia) which is already having a positive effect on the open source drivers ( see http://airlied.livejournal.com/ ).

The fglrx drivers are improving as well. They now support composite and provide monthly releases which are fixing a lot of bugs quite quickly. My next card will be an ATI because in the next few months some really decent open source drivers will start appearing.

Also, the released specifications now mean that there is an ATI driver in development for the new Gallium 3D driver framework. In the next year or so ATI's will be the cards to buy on Linux. nVidia's binary offerings are the best, but I prefer open source drivers any day.