[Wine] Re: Can Wine run on anything other than x86 ?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat May 31 15:18:16 CDT 2008

Anurag Mishra wrote:
> I was just reading this article
> http://blog.sillica.com/2008/05/30/valve-source-engine-to-hit-linux-soon/
>
> and author suggests that one of the Wine derivative has been used on
> PS2 in order to run the DirectX features using OpenGL.
> Is it technically possible to do with Wine? For all I know, Wine
> waited a long to get to Mac and port was only successful after Apple
> started using Intel CPU's.

Yes Wine _CAN_ run on number of other architectures. However it will not run windows programs. Wine does not emulate CPU.

What Sony might have done in PS2 is using parts of Wine that implement DirectX over OpenGL. I don't see any major problems why they can't do that. The only thing is they have to be careful with type conversions on the given platform.

BTW this is not the first time some one used Wine's d3d over OpenGL implementation. Look at Parallels for Mac OS X.