[Wine] Numerical calculations differ between XP and Wine

helma wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 2 09:43:42 CDT 2008

I am trying to run a scientific command line program (Dragon for the calculation of chemical properties) under Wine. Unfortunately some parameters are calculated differently when the program is executed under Windows XP and Wine, although the executable and the input files are the same.

The results are the same with different Wine versions (wine-1.0 Ubuntu Hardy wine-0.9.25 Debian Etch, unknown wine version RH Enterprise). Most of the calculated parameters are identical between Windows and Wine, the remaining differences are sometimes minor (like round off errors), sometimes changed signs and sometimes completely different values. Running Dragon under Wine leads to a lot of fixme messages, but they seem to be related to GUI elements that I do not use.

As I have little experience with Windows I have almost no idea what might lead the differing numerical calculations and how to achieve identical results with Wine. Do you think it would make sense to try native DLL's or are there other settings that could affect numerical calculations?

Thanks a lot!
Christoph