[Wine] Re: MS Office 2003

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 2 09:56:50 CDT 2008

Nikolo wrote:
> Using wine 1.0 on my debian Etch system, I installed MS Office 2003
> following instructions given here :
> http://dannybuntu.blogspot.com/2007/12/i-ran-ms-office-2003-under-wine-too.html
>
> From this I can run the Office 2003 applications but only as root.
> Moreover, only Word and Power Point work. Excel worked only once. Now
> the safe mode has to be accepted and then it bugs and stops.
>
> How should I proceed to install everything for a non-root user ? (I
> appear to still be a beginner at linux)
>
> Nikolo  :D

NEVER RUN WINE AS ROOT.

First follow these instructions to clean up the mess you've made by running as root:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-96bebfa287b4288974de0df23351f278b0d41014

After that, reinstall Office 2003 as a normal user. Just run the installer as you would in Windows--no overrides or tweaks are needed to install Office 2003 in 1.0.

Once installed, you may want to set an override for riched20.dll to fix the thesaurus bug. There is no need to copy the dll or use winetricks--Office 2003 installs its own riched20, but you need to set the override to use it.

It's a good idea to pay attention to how old a set of instructions are before following them. The ones you followed are extremely outdated.