[Wine] Excel Solver Add-In / Alternatives

lJoublanc wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 5 05:18:31 CDT 2008

Hi,

I can't seem to get any Excel Add-Ins to work. In particular, I need the 'Solver' for an assignment ...
I've tried with two office versions (2007/2003), which I've managed to install successfully (you have to enable the Solver add-in  during  installation), but it's the same every time.
When I try to start it up I get a message saying can't access SOLVER.XLA, and then '400'. Initially I got a msgbox with squares in it - this was fixed by adding dcom98 with winetricks.

I would like to simply know whether someone has been able to successfully use this ('tools' -> 'solver...' after enabling it in 'tools'->'add-ins...') in any version of office, or whether I'm simply wasting my time.

Alternatively, if someone knows of a free linux spreadsheet application that has a non-linear solver, I would be grateful. I've already tried OO3 and gnumeric.