[Wine] Wine Won't load - New to Linux, was initially impressed :-(

benwaltersuk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Oct 8 14:16:19 CDT 2008

I have recently switched to Ubuntu 8.04. And being a user that still needs the functionality of MS Office, I attempted to install Office 2007 by following the instructions @

http://samanathon.com/how-to-install-microsoft-office-2007-in-ubuntu-804/

And during the setup I fear that I have misinterpreted something as I now can't even get to the Wine configuration menu.

I Have tried removing it completely, and then reinstalling it only to get the same problem. I'm at a loss, can anyone offer any help??

When I try to run Winecfg from the terminal, I get the following message:

~$ winecfg
err:module:import_dll Library rpcrt4.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code -1073741515
err:module:import_dll Library rpcrt4.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\ole32.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000135

Please help, I don't want to to have to revert to XP, oh I couldn't get Office installed either. But Wine is the priority!

Thanks.