[Wine] Testing for Windows malware under Wine

MikeF wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 16 22:51:56 CDT 2008

After using Linux for some time, I realized that this might be another good use for wine.

I've been seeing the commercials for PC SpeedScan by Ascentive and have even been asked about it by non-techie friends. Since my Ubuntu system isn't real mission critical, I decided to throw caution to the winds and installed the 'product'.

One behavior of malware is that it purposely does not uninstall cleanly or at all. Sure enough, the wine uninstaller could not remove any of the Ascentive crap. Just for grins, I installed CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller - they could remove evidence from the wine Uninstall dialog but the app menus still remain. Looks like apt-get autoremove wine, install wine, here we come.

Has anyone else tried this?
Any hints for removing orphan menus?