[Wine] Thanks!

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 30 09:54:41 CDT 2008

>after all my efforts and no ones help... well, ok just one maybe; i have decided that getting my game of Oblivion Elder Scrolls on here through wine is not achievable by someone as dim witted as myself, as i really have no clue about all these archive things, terminal commands GL shaders or anything else...
>it just seems that no matter what i do, it just doesn't want to work, either i have the wrong wine (which i have tried to change, but again, i cant seem to be able to do that either) it seems to me that no one linux is the same as another, and im not just talking about the variants here either, i mean, one ubuntu 8.04 is not the same as the next 8.04, which seems bizzare to me, which is why probably i cant get my game to work.
>and i thought the people in here were cool and helpful, and all i have seen is emptiness, is that because people dont want to bother helping the less knowledgeable or perhaps they dont know them selves or is it simply that no one can be bothered lately?
>i have unstalled wine but it is still there, i have tried all sorts of help/tips and still no go... the best i had it was when game was running but the character screen was black, but since then from trying different things, its gone to shit again

I think instructions can be found:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=3150
You need to follow them exactly, so the directions say. The application is considered "gold," easy to install, and works fairly well.
But here's the catch. It is more important that the person who helps you knows the game itself, than that knows wine generally. I am not a gamer myself. There is no guarantee that you would find Oblivion enthusiasts on this list, and that's what you need. Plus, obviously, a lot of hand-holding, since your problems seem overwhelming.
Good luck.