[Wine] Bold I know... problem with Steam in darwine

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 30 23:06:16 CDT 2008

Piro123 wrote:
> jorl17 wrote:
>
>> Piro123 wrote:
>>
>>> well i managed to get steam to run even smoother.
>>>
>>> I even got scroll bars to come up in the steam window, which has been a major issue with most wine builds running steam.
>>>
>>> The trick was to disable OpenGL now the only problem is again the same issue. Wont install the games.
>>>
>>> Im getting this in my log.
>>>
>>> -------------
>>> err:d3d:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
>>> err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
>>> err:wine_d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D9 is not available without opengl
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> any ideas?
>>>
>> Hi. Well the second error is obviously because of disabling opengl. What wine build are you using? how did you install it? (yum, aptitude, apt, self-compile?)
>>
>> I use steam with my built version (directly from GIT) of wine and it works pefectly with steam. ALso using a native riched and the other requested dll's with winetricks worked pefect, heck, I installed all my games from steam, but I'm on Linux and I'm really not into MacOSX.
>>
>> But I think that error is related to gfx stuff as I had similiar stuff with a game before.
>>
>> Try steam with native COM with winetricks (MSDOM) but I don't think it'll work as steam tends to crash using it, still it is a good try and it would throw ole errors away (i think).
>>
>> By the way, can you chat in steam? It's the only thing I can not always do.
>>
>> Disable steam-community-ingame.
>>
>> The scrollbars issue is odd and I think probably indicates a gfx problem (but are you talking about steam-like bars or theme-like bars?)
>>
>> Jorl17
>>

> Thanks for the input Jorl17 ill give it a try.
>
> recently i deleted the post you quoted because i re-enabled the OpenGL, and discovered that with the Performance Data helper PDH.dll i was able to get the scrollbars to work with OpenGL hovever only the arrows on the steam scrollbars work if you grab the slider it freaks out, but at least I can still scroll.
>
> The new error im getting is similar to the original one in the first post:
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  129 (Apple-DRI)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  2 ()
>   Value in failed request:  0x22c9b9
>   Serial number of failed request:  680774
>
> ---------
>
> I have a sneaky suspicion this is a problem with X11 and not wine.

You are quite correct in your suspicstions that X11 is responsible.
Apple's X11 does not support OpenGL 1.3 /3.  This may be why you are
unable to run Steam.

However, I do have a quesion:  Which Darwine are you using and which
release?

XQuartz may support OpenGL 1.3 in the 2.4 release, if not earlier.  It
is not supported in 2.3.1.

James McKenzie