[Wine] Re: Slow performance with many 3D games

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 2 04:24:55 CDT 2008

chourmovs wrote:
> You know better than me
>
> Many games work better if you asign 1 core to wine processus, and often you don't get any performance jump by decreasing resolution, it generally mean we're CPU limited.
>
> Maybe it's the way Wine handle with game optimisation but i've often read here that wine was not multithreaded
>
> We need some explanation bosses  [Idea]  [Exclamation]

It varies from application to application.  Wine itself may not have any inherent design with parallelism for performance, but the applications you run may be written to split work into threads or processes which Wine creates and then linux schedules across cpus/cores. As demonstrated in the sample program I posted.

If you wanted to speculate on why one particular application runs slow you'd need to profile it with oprofile or some other profiling tool and it will give you an indication of where time is spent.  I don't think it helps to generalize.