[Wine] Re: Slow performance with many 3D games

ulberon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 3 06:48:38 CDT 2008

I guess to get right to the point, I know cuda is fairly popular right now (though it only works on nvidia cards, and only on 8000 series or later).Is there someway to compute the same thing using GLSL?  Is there any documentation that hints as to how directx actually handles many of these functions?  A consistent complaint about all the games under wine is that the CPU usage always shoots to 100% (and the same program doesn't experience this in Windows).  So this means one of two things: 1) Spin locks (or polling with a loop, or something similar), 2) CPU intensive.  Again, this is all subjective, but if the program is CPU intensive in linux and not in windows, I think some duties that are normally handled by the GPU are being handled by the CPU and I lack the information and experience to know implementation details of directx, I'm hoping someone else on the forums does...