[Wine] Wine prefixes without using Playonlinux

Das Letzte Einhorn wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 5 16:27:37 CDT 2008

Since I installed Wine on my computer, I have mostly been using the Playonlinux application to manage the installation and maintenance of the games I have tested. The cool thing about it is that I can create wineprefixes for each application I wish to test, and therefore not having the tweaks of one program interfering with another. It's working great with applications which run almost flawlessly in Wine, but for others which do require further testing I have to use the gnome terminal. It ends up that sometimes a game will work with POL but not with the terminal, and sometimes the opposite too, because when I run games from the terminal they use a clean registry, instead of the registry which is contained in POL for the specific prefix.

Now, I would like to stop using POL and refer more to text commands to run my games. I do not know however how to create wine prefixes with the console, and also if I have to install something, how to direct it toward a particular prefix, just like what POL was taking care of. It would ask me first if I wanted to create a new prefix or edit an existing one, and then direct the installation toward the particular target. When I attempted to do it manually, the terminal told me that the "wineprefixcreate" command was obsolete. I have also browsed the wine WIKI about that, and I have only found something about the "path" command, which I am not sure what it is for. I believe that it would be necessary for me to have separate prefixes for each game, since I test them and report bugs, and also because I have about 100 of them to test. A little tutorial on that would be wonderful!

Thanks!