No subject

Tue Sep 2 11:01:37 CDT 2008

Code:
arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [Samson Q1U               ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Code:
aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This gave me the information about my playback and capture devices.
playback  card 0: device 0:
capture    card 1; device 0:

Your devices may be different.

I then saved the following file in my home directory as .asoundrc

Code:
pcm.!default {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}
capture.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
}
}

Under winecfg Audio tab I have checked only ALSA Driver and my microphone now shows up as:

Wave In Devices
         USB audio
         USB audio

Rosetta Stone just worked :D. Its pretty cool to finally be able to do the pronunciation exercises.

I swapped my  Altec Lansing usb headset for my Samson microphone and it also worked fine without changing any settings. (I would have to  change my playback device to get sound thru the headphones if I wanted.)

Code:
arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [C-Media USB Headphone Set  ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0