[Wine] Re: Installing patches help

TheCandyMan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 8 11:52:56 CDT 2008

dimesio wrote:

> TheCandyMan wrote:
> > Hey, I just want to state before I ask my questions, I am still rather new to Linux, and to Wine, so please, bear with me.
> >
> > The following questions I have are
> >
> > How do I install patches to Wine?
> >
> > How do I make this http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=15516 into a file I can patch into Wine?
> >
> > Please, have the answers be idiot proof.
> >
> > If it matters, I am using Mandriva Linux 2008 spring as my OS.
>

> Patching involves downloading and compiling Wine from source. The wiki has instructions for building Wine at http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages (32 bit) and http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit (64 bit). How to patch can be found in the instructions for regression testing, http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting (scroll down to the Patching Your Git Tree section). The regression testing wiki page also has clear step-by-step instructions for building Wine, so you might want to read the whole thing.
>
> The file you linked to IS a patch. Download it and apply it following the instructions linked to above.

My OS is not listed on the wiki you gave on instructions and building Wine, and it seems to assume I already know a great deal about such operations, when I do not. Anything noob proof?

And how do I make the patch file then into a .diff? The file format I am guessing for Wine patches judging from ¨patch -p1 < patch_name.diff¨.