[Wine] Notepad appends ".txt" to file names it looks for

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes alex at thehandofagony.com
Tue Sep 9 15:43:01 CDT 2008

På Torsdag 04 september 2008 , 23:20:53 skrev Walter Dnes:
>   BTW, the 4NEC author's first language is not English, so plese go easy
> on the grammer in the program.  "Help ==> About" indicates version
> 5.7.3, Windows XP running on Intel Pentium.
>
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 02:52:17AM -0500, jeffz wrote
>
> > Can you give a step by step guide of how to reproduce this?
> > I've downloaded the program but I'm unsure of how to reproduce
> > your problem.
>
> 1) Start 4NEC2.  All of the following steps take place on the "Main"
> menu
>
> 2) select...   Settings ==> Notepad Edit
>
> 3) File ==> Open 4NEC2 in-/output- file
>    open any of the example files, e.g. Example1.NEC
>    (Note; this step used to cause me problems at first, now it doesn't;
>     weird)
>
> 4) Edit ==> Input (.nec) file
>
>    At this point, I get the error dialog...
>
> File 'C:\4NEC2\MODELS\EXAMPLE1.NE.txt'
> does not exist
>
> Do you want to create a new file?

I have sent a patch to fix notepad's behaviour with regards to appending .txt
to filenames.  But I was not able to reproduce the issue you described;
notepad opens the files just fine, without any errors.  The issue seems to be
that notepad is given the filename C:\4NEC2\MODELS\EXAMPLE1.NE, while it
should be C:\4NEC2\MODELS\EXAMPLE1.NEC

I used Wine 1.1.3 and 4NEC2 5.7.3.  Could you upgrade to Wine 1.1.3 or newer
and see if the problem persists?

Alexander N. Sørnes