[Wine] Windows SNMP Probe via Wine

mclovin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 12 18:03:40 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I have read through just about every relevant post on this site and I also experimented a bit and I'm looking for your opinion on a solution have come up with.

I am attempting to connect a Linux web server to a monitoring package.  This packages (absolutely) requires a Windows based probe on the same network as the Linux server.  The probe itself uses SNMP, Ping, and Telnet to talk to the server.  It's a waste to put another Windows box in the location for that one purpose.

So, I got everything working, got the probe installed, I see that Ping and Telnet does not work, but hey that's fine because SNMP works great.  And yes, its running as something other than root.

I have to leave notepad open and I have to have a GUI on the machine, but that's not bad considering my situation.

My question is, is this a ridiculous solution?  I plan on creating a script to install Wine and set up this service.  We're talking about 37Megs of disk space and very little overhead.  Can anyone think of a reason why this is a really bad idea?