[Wine] Re: Native, Builtin for Dummies

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 13 11:53:14 CDT 2008

fdservices wrote:
> OK, but what is in the drive_C/windows/system32 folder? are these the Builtin dlls? or are they just stubs needed to fool the programs into thinking that the dll exists?

Stubs or what we call them "fake dlls". They contain only resources but not the actual code.

fdservices wrote:
> If they are just stubs and I want to use a Native dll for just one program, then do I copy it to the system32 folder and overwrite the dll file there, in which case, presumably, the native dll will act as the stub for any other program, but the builtin will still be used?

No, you should copy it to the program's directory and override it for that only program in winecfg.

Unless you force Wine to use native dll, Wine will always prefer to use it's own dlls (except when Wine's dll is a complete stub (has no code at all) and configured to prefer native, if exists).