[Wine] SimCity 4 + RH easily crashes with addons and heavy city.

Skiper wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 15 10:47:25 CDT 2008

Hello.

First, thank you a lot for Wine.  It is really a fabulous project and ex windows users like me really say you thanks a lot each time we use Wine.

Second, I have installed SimCity 4 (with the help of PlayOnLinux) and its expansion pack Rush Hour. Many things worked quite well. I would say this game almost works well. But here are my issues :

- Game easily crashes with a heavy city with many buildings for some reason, especially while placing myself a building.
- Game stability becomes really unpredictable when you start adding mods and plugins. Since I've instaled plugins that do work, the game :
* sometimes cannot load a city
* sometimes it does not load the whole region at startup
* it crashes when you zoom too much
* it is quite slow.
- Wine does not like some plugins for some reason, and the game takes more time to load, and it will crash, without being able to display any letters and the region (it actually crashes when trying to display the region).

Aside of this, Hardware rendering still does not work.

Today mods are essential for this game. I konw it can sometimes not really be helpful for wine, but I would like to have you opinion on this. I am not a technical professional yet, but I shall do what you ask me.

My configuration :
cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6850  @ 3.00GHz
cpu_ghz: 3.0
memory: 2026
videocard_manufacturer: NVIDIA Corporation
videocard_type: GeForce 7900 GT/GTO/PCI/SSE2
videocard_ram: 256
agp_aperture_size: 508
videocard_driver_version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.12
soundcard: HDA Intel at 0xfbefc000 irq 1
soundcard_driver: ALSA Version 1.0.16
machine_bitness: 32
kernel: 2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb
x_version: X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
distro: MandrivaLinux 2008.1 (cambria)
wine_version: 1.1.4

I have already modified a few things : enabled opengl, specified 256mb of graphic card memory, and the game options are enabled with maximum details with software rendering.

Thank you, I wish to help a little by solving this issue.