[Wine] Petition for PunkBuster Support/Version for WINE in Linux

Chris MacKay cmacaoidh at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 05:40:28 CDT 2008

First, let me state that I refuse to sign anything that harvests my name and email address.

Secondly, let me explain why some programs work with PB, and others don't.

As I understand it, those games which come with PB (and have a linux clients, such as Americas Army) utilise a modified version of the original PB, which does not require the same API calls that the "base" version does. Ie, they have a workaround of sorts built into them (intentional or otherwise).

Anything that installs PB as a third party application will use the standard PB, with the standard PB checks. These versions fail after a short while because they detect you are not running a standard Windoze OS. Well, I hate to tell you this, but that's in the province of the coders who created PB, and it's part of what it's SUPPOSED to do. Punkbuster is designed to make sure you're not messing with anything (including systems DLLs, etc) and not spoofing any API calls, so when it receives a non-standard response from Wine, it assumes you're a Punk (cheater) and busts you. No surprise there.

If you want to petition anyone, it would probably be more productive to petition the PB developers, rather than the Wine coders, since if you're looking for Linux support, they'll need to change the application itself. No Wine-bsaed workaround will provide true Linux support. The best it can do is pretend to be Windows more accurately, and, as I said, it's PBs job to detect and prevent that.