[Wine] glass bounces up and down then stops

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 17 23:17:36 CDT 2008

randogrulz wrote:
> here is where i got it from
> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8ca0ddcdc65ae4ff54f42ffe74bb66a5eba7dab2
>
> and this is what i did from the wiki
>

> 2.1. When I double-click on a .exe file in my File Manager, nothing happens.
>
> Note: If you can, start applications by clicking on the application's icon in the Applications / Wine menu or desktop instead. Double-clicking .exe's is typically only needed for applications that aren't installed yet, e.g. to run the setup.exe on a cd-rom game, or a downloaded installer.
>
> If double-clicking doesn't work, you might need to right-click the file and choose "Run with Wine". It depends on your file manager. If that also doesn't work, contact whoever built your wine packages and complain.
>
> You can work around this problem by using the command line instead of your File Manager. To do this, open a terminal window, navigate to the folder where your application is, and run it by typing wine (program).exe. Running wine in this fashion will also let you see Wine's debugging log. This may not be the friendliest way to use Wine, but at the moment it is the most effective, and it's how wine developers usually do it.
>
> I just tried it does wine SqueezeCenter exe in my acct (not root this time) and this is what it said

What you need to do is this in terminal

cd <location of executable you want to run>
wine <name of executable>.exe (yes that is dot exe without the space)

You should get a bunch of output to the screen and your program should
run.  Also, please look in the applications database (AppDb) and see if
anyone has been successful in running your particular executable and if
any workarounds are needed to do so.

> wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\SqueezeCenter.exe": Module not found

This means that wine could not find the executable.  Please run it from
the directory the program was installed into.

James McKenzie