[Wine] Re: Strange errors when opening YVD 9.0 RC1

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 18 02:15:35 CDT 2008

MagicMaster87 wrote:

> jeffz wrote:
> >
> > MagicMaster87 wrote:
> > > Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums (and to Linux, I just installed it a few days ago), so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong or forgetting something by posting this here.
> > >
> > > The problem I've been having is that upon running the .exe file, it loads up to the main screen, but then immediately pops up the following error:
> > >
> > > "Run-time error '445':
> > > Object doesn't support this action."
> > > Sorry if that was unnecessarily lengthy or detailed, I just want to make sure nothing important was left out.  Thanks in advance for your time.
> > >
> > > *EDIT*
> > > Whoops, forgot to mention that I'm using Wine 1.1.4.
> >

> > You might try filing a bug report for the issue, but do so with a clean prefix and no dll overrides.  Provide the link to the download and a description of the steps taken to reproduce the problem.   Attach the terminal output if there is any.
>

> Alright, thanks, I'll do that shortly.  I just have one more question first.  What exactly do you mean by a "clean prefix"?  If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the way you type the command in the terminal, correct?

When you run wine, it operates in a prefix which is ~/.wine by default.  Any files which are created when you run wine, such as the registry, installed programs etc exist there.  If you want to start from scratch you remove or move ~/.wine

Alternatively, you can set a different prefix by using the WINEPREFIX environment variable, for example:

WINEPREFIX=/home/magicmaster87/wine-yugioh wine setup.exe

Each time, you want to use that prefix, you specify "WINEPREFIX=/home/magicmaster87/wine-yugioh"