[Wine] distribute a compiled wine version on linux

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Sep 18 15:26:38 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM, thebuck <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> so there is nothing i have to worrie when people using my self compiled binarys?

Some programs provide targets in the makefile to build packages, I did
not see any quickly in Wine's case... (Finding the scripts used to
generate the packages on WineHQ should help a lot...)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BuildingWineFromSource#Build%20Wine
seems to include instructions on creating a debian package...

> what about the law? what can i do wrong?

1. I'm not a lawyer...

You should distribute the source code of the modified version with
it... (With the LGPL it is not necessary to include independent
stuff's code (such as DLLs that is not derived from Wine's version,
etc))

You may probably not include Microsoft DLL's, other software with your
distribution... (In most cases...)

Gert